Getting ready for the winter months with a little chowder is a northeastern tradition. Tender, flaky cod simmers in a fragrant broth with potatoes, celery, and rich mascarpone and you have something special. Of course, no chowder is complete without oyster crackers bobbing on top. And since it’s done in just 25 minutes, you’ll be making this warming meal all year round!
Time to Prep ingredients
Like with many good meals it starts off with a lot of chopping. So lets start with trimming the ends off the celery, and then finely chop. Next we take 2 cloves of garlic and finely chop about 2 teaspoons.
Next it’s time to prepare the scallions. Take your scallions and thinly slice. Once you are done put them to the side for later.
Once you’re done with the scallions take the thyme pick and finely chop ¼ of the leaves, discarding stems; and save remaining sprigs for step 4.
Finally we scrub the potatoes, It’s always important to make sure you get all the grit and grime off. Take your potatoes and cut into ½-inch pieces.
It’s time to make some fragrances by Sautéing the aromatics
I prefer to use a large pot but you can also use a Dutch oven. Heat 1½ tablespoons oil over medium-high.
Now take you celery, garlic, ¾ of scallions, and 1 teaspoon salt and toss it in to the pot. Keep stirring, until the ingredients are softened and the smell is wonderful. Should take about 2–3 minutes. Stir in 1 tablespoon flour and cook for about 1 more minute. And you are ready to move onto the next step.
Add a little broth
Stir seafood broth concentrate and 2 cups of water into your pot of aromatics and bring to a boil over high heat.
Then we add the cut potatoes and half of the remaining thyme sprigs and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer until potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork, 10–12 minutes.
You are almost done.
Take your Cook cod and make sure that it is defrosted, then cut cod into 2-inch pieces, then add to pot. Add a cover and let it simmer over low just until the cod is nice and flakes. Shouldn’t take more than 6–8 minutes. Gently stir in mascarpone cheese in and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes.
Finally steps are to remove and discard thyme sprigs. Season chowder with a little salt and pepper. Ladle into bowls, and serve chowder with oyster crackers.
- 5 oz celery
- 1 oz scallions
- 2 Yukon gold potatoes
- ¼ oz fresh thyme
- 1 pkt seafood broth concentrate
- 10 oz pkg cod fillets
- 3 oz mascarpone cheese
- 1 oz oyster crackers
- olive oil
- kosher salt & ground pepper
- all-purpose flour
- Prep ingredients: Trim celery, then finely chop. Finely chop 2 teaspoons garlic. Trim half of the scallions, then thinly slice (save rest for own use). Scrub potatoes, then cut into ½-inch pieces. Pick and finely chop ¼ of the thyme leaves, discarding stems; save remaining sprigs for step 4.
- Sauté aromatics: Heat 1½ tablespoons oil in a medium Dutch oven or pot over medium-high. Add celery, garlic, ¾ of the sliced scallions, and 1 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring, until softened, 2–3 minutes. Stir in 1 tablespoon flour and cook, stirring, about 1 minute.
- Add broth: Stir seafood broth concentrate and 2 cups water into pot and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Cook potatoes: Add potatoes and half of the remaining thyme sprigs (save rest for own use); bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork, 10–12 minutes.
- Cook cod: Cut cod into 2-inch pieces, then add to pot. Cover and simmer over low just until cod easily flakes, 6–8 minutes. Gently stir in mascarpone and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Finish & serve: Remove and discard thyme sprigs. Season chowder to taste with salt and pepper. Ladle into bowls, then garnish with chopped thyme and remaining sliced scallions. Serve chowder with oyster crackers.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 954Total Fat: 33gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 185mgSodium: 1200mgCarbohydrates: 100gFiber: 7gSugar: 6gProtein: 62g